Thursday, May 04, 2006

Blogger Impaired

Good grief, whatever you do, don't forget your stupid password for Blogger. I think I managed to create an entirely new account without meaning to. (Insert heavy sigh). It's been a busy few days. The trip to Flagstaff was great. Good to see Chris & Lea & their little ones. Bookman's was awesome, but I ended up spending more than I probably should have. Just finished Val McDermid's The Mermaid's singing - an extremely well-written serial killer ick-fest with really interesting characters. Starting Dennis Lehane's Sacred - he already made me laugh on pg. 2, so that's a good sign. I don't mind scary, nasty thrillers, but I do like a little humor in the darkness. Also reading Modern Recording Techniques and doing some research on mics and recording/mixing gear. Oh yeah, and then there's the writing. That's the one sucky part as it's still dragging ass. Time to kick it into high gear. I'd sort of told myself I wouldn't post on the blog until I'd made more progress (50k is less than 500 words away at this point!!), but it's been a while. I've even taken a few days off blog trawling, 'cause I need to get my shit going. But, it's been a while, so here I am blabbling (no, that's not a typo).

I'm totally psyched about the sound mixing. Todd's amazingly generous with his time & is a good teacher. I guess the plan is for me to do the reading (basic science) and to sit in on live sound mixing & some studio recording sessions. We're getting together once a week to go over the book learnin' and the hands-on stuff will happen in between. It's going to be a longish process and I'm committed for the next 3 or 4 months to learn this cool stuff.

Check out the cool pic of the Raven from opening night on April 1, 2006.


Next show is at The Raven Cafe next week. The board is up in the balcony to the right of the video screen - SuperDuperPow!!




Saturday night at Coyote Joe's was a great learning experience - not to mention getting to hear a kick ass bluegrass/rockabilly band from L.A. called Rose's Pawn Shop. The guy who plays upright bass built his own instrument...how freakin' cool is that? Besides being blogger impaired, I'm also html illiterate, so I don't know how to do the cool in-post linkages and don't have the patience to fool with it right now. Anyway, here's the url for Rose's Pawn Shop:
http://rosespawnshop.com/
Check 'em out. They've got 3 free demo downloads - I especially like Arsonist and Lone Rider (they played them at Joe's), but you decide for yourself.

One last yippie skippy. In a few weeks Lee Child and Cornelia Read are going to be at The Poison Pen in Scottsdale for a book signing. I'm really looking forward to it and barring an unforeseen act of the deity, I'll be there to get books signed. Okay, so this is dumb, but I feel a little weird as I'm a big fan of Mr. Child and have heard good stuff about C. Read's debut. The weird part comes in with the terminally shy thing. I'm generally okay with one on one stuff, but...let's just say it will be a good challenge for my social skills. Whatever, stupid insecurity crap aside, I'm stoked. And on that note, it's time to get my butt off the net and get to work.

3 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Hey, just go up to Cornelia and say, "Let me see your tattoos - Sandra said to ask!" Truly, she's such a great person, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Her book is just excellent, but she's a real person, you know what I mean? I'm jealous - and I want a full report!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Cornelia Read said...

Hey there, Angie,

PLEASE come to Poisoned Pen--I'm feeling pretty terminally shy about it myself, and it would be really great to know someone there was sharing my terminal-ness (well, okay, it would be BETTER if we both felt totally carefree and stoked, but...).

It's going to be my first appearance with Lee, and I'm basically terrified to the extent that I hope I don't throw up on him.

I can only show you one tattoo, though, unless I'm wearing shorts.

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger angie said...

Well, I'm going. Cornelia, thanks for being so nice about it. Is it possible to be totally stoked AND terminally shy?!! Cause that's about where I'm coming from.

And Lea, I'd love for you to come down with me. Give me a call and we'll do the whole car-pool thingie. Yes, Lee Child is an awesome writer - but I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Cornelia too (and not just from Sandra!!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home