Sunday, July 09, 2006

Early Morning Visitor




Ah, nothing like a javelina first thing in the morning to really piss the dogs off. This little guy showed up just before 7 a.m. in our backyard & drove Zuzu and Zelda absolutely nuts. Fortunately my camera batteries hadn't died yet so I could record it for posterity! The critter looks bigger in the first photo because it got freaked when I came outside and shook it's bristles out - makes it look a lot bigger. Once he realized I wasn't going to try and chase it away (emphasis on try, these dudes like to think they're badasses), he calmed down for pic 2. Wish I'd been able to do that the time we had 14 of the little buggers show up and take over the yard.




Yesterday was a gorgeous cloud day - another side benefit of monsoon season!

7 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

So THAT's what a javelina looks like! My dogs would have been frothing at the mouth.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

Is that like a pig? Never heard of them before. I must say I'd chit myself if one of those appeared in my garden.

:o)

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger angie said...

Javelinas are strange animals, but not pigs. They're more closely related to a hippopotamus, if you can believe that. Technically they're called collared peccaries. And yeah, they're kinda scary.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger anne frasier said...

they're so cute!!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Bill Cameron said...

They are adorable. I want one!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger angie said...

No, you really don't! On top of digging up every last thing you plant and having teeth that grow out of their jaws like tusks, they freakin' stink. Cute from a distance only!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

Angie...that's too weird. I said pretty much the same thing about my college roommate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home