Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Ethel 'n Me

Ya know, sometimes writing is just stupid hard. What's worse is when I freak myself out with the ol' mind game of "my writing sucks, I suck, what am I doing?' It's usually around that time that my fear, henceforth referred to as Ethel, pulls up a chair.

I'm not talking lovable, wacky, friend of Lucy here. My Ethel favors plastic pink curlers, ratty bathrobes, and fluffy slippers that should have been thrown out ten years ago. I know because her corns show through and gross me out. She thinks it's funny.

Ethel likes to whisper shit in my ear, and giggle maliciously (Yep! Adverb!) at the words I type. She especially likes it when I freeze up and stare at the screen in abject horror. Definitely her idea of a good time.

So what's a writer chick to do? Kick her ass, duct tape her mouth shut, and shove her in the corner. At least that's my plan. Ya'll do what you want.

8 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

I was thinking you should put Ethel in the novel. In fact, pretty much all the description in this blog post is a terrific example of description that provides a concrete image.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

I do that! Stick the bugging voices in a novel. Gets rid of them then!

:o)

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Bill Cameron said...

First of all, I like adverbs. What can I say. Not frequently (heh), but used judiciously they are a part of speech that I often think of fondly.

I, too, put the crazy talk in my writing. Sometimes it makes me people look at me funny, which is an experience I also think of fondly!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Tempest Knight said...

Oh, I've not put a name or form to my little malicious voice that nags me when I'm right smack in the middle of writing a story and tells me how much it sucks. *lol* I like that you call yours Ethel.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger anne frasier said...

oh no! not that ethel bitch!

i'm sorry she's come to visit.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger angie said...

Ethel is annoying, but she doesn't scare me like she used to - hard to be scared of pink plastic curlers. Okay, they are kinda scary, but not too bad. Anne blogged on fear a while back & that's when I decided I needed to name mine. Hard to take it seriously when it's got a name like Ethel and looks like she does! So yeah, the bitch is back, but no big. Duct tape works wonders!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

Duct tape truly is the wonder invention. In one of my other novels that I hope will someday see the light of day, my stalwart protag employs it liberally in the raising of her young.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you gave her a name and description. Hope the duct tape works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home