Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Cleaning House, with Edits

Dude, she's smiling. Then again, if my kitchen was that organized...yeah, not likely. Ever.

I know there are some folks who are spring cleaners. I'm a fall cleaner. Okay, technically it's still summer, but when the temperature stays out of the 90's for more than a week and the sunflowers are blooming, summer's on its way out. Which means I start wondering if I can stand the thought of spending winter holed up in my house. By the end of August, the answer is usually no. So I start going through the piles of mail that "I might want to look at" and tossing shit - that grocery store coupon magazine that expired at the end of June, the alumni mag from my college, etc., etc. My husband's packrat nature and complete lack of interest in cleaning anything doesn't help much. So I'm tackling one thing at a time. Believe me, anything more would send me screaming through the streets.

So why the hell am I even talking about this? Probably because I need to edit the short story that I finished (still a "yay, me!") and I really need to wait at least another day. I'm still too damn in love with my fabulous prose to give it the heavy duty edit it needs to push it to the next level. And that's where all the cleaning crap comes in. I have some really good ideas when I'm doing something completely monotonous & potentially icky (I have a continuing phobia that I'll pick up a pile of papers & a giant spider will leap out and...I dunno, kick my ass and make me watch daytime television in Latvian...or something). So while it all percolates in my mush brain, I clean. Wow. The life of a writer is, like, so totally lame I can't even believe it. Still beats the hell out of a day job, though!

9 Comments:

At 3:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post smacked my funny bone. I love it.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

I hate editing. It sucks. That's why I'm here. I'm supposed to be editing.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger angie said...

Steve - just hope your funny bone didn't require emergency medical care. Read my disclaimer at the bottom of my blog...not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of this blog's content.

LOL, Sandra! I usually don't mind, but this one's been hard. I'm giving myself today to focus on other stuff. Hopefully I won't be so in looove with every flippin' word and character tomorrow.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Christian said...

The woman in the photo is smiling because doctors were a lot looser with prescribing the tranqs in those days.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger mai wen said...

I totally use cleaning as a procrastination, though sometimes it actually helps if I'm stuck on something in a story. That monotonousness of cleaning lets your mind wander without feeling idle like you're trying too hard to figure your story issue out.

Edits are a whole other story, I hate them and am horrible at them. I know writers are supposed to like love grammar and be really good at it cuz they were the English geeks in high school, and I Was an English geek in high school, but more in symbolism and analysing stories. I stunk at grammar, hated it and still stink and hate it!! As for content and plot edits I can handle better, but I always find things to change and improve on. I could edit one story for the rest of my life, I don't know when to stop!

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

Yup, the writer's life is a cool one. At least, when writing from home, you can prat about in your house in between the prose. At work you can't just get up and loiter round the photocopier.

Ok, you could, but people would KNOW you're not working...

:o)

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Congrats on finishing the short story!! WOOHOO!! You ROCK!

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Congrats on finishing the short story!! WOOHOO!! You ROCK!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

You could so totally work on HINDSIGHT instead?

Pretty please?

And that lady's kitchen isn't organized. Her baking stuff is on the floor and her oven is used to store pots and pans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home