Thursday, September 07, 2006

Quits - A Review

Quits
by
M.E. Ellis

Wayne is not a monster, although at first glance he fits the bill. Unhappy with the attitudes of modern women, he decides to conduct a grotesque “experiment.” Wayne chooses a teenaged girl as his test subject and kidnaps her, intent on finding out how long it will take to break her. What he didn’t count on was how the experiment would end up changing him.

M. E. Ellis delivers a complex character that I would love to hate, but can’t. Wayne takes us on a journey through the torments of his childhood and into the darker regions of his adult psyche. And yet…hope and humor and compassion shine through, in spite of the horror. I never would have guessed that I would end up almost liking this mother hating, bunny loving, cliché quoting, kidnapping madman. But I do, and I bet I’m not alone on this one.

Quits is an honest-to-god creepfest, guaranteed to keep you up well past your bedtime turning the pages. After racing through it, I found myself flipping back to reread sections of the book to see how the author worked in the clues leading up to the killer twist near the end of the story. Quits stays with you, much like Wayne’s description of the lingering stains of childhood fears, “Everything you’ve ever feared as a kid is supposed to vanish with the arrival of adulthood. It’s like washing powder cleans those stubborn stains and they’re gone, but I bet if you put the material under the microscope it’s still there.” Consider yourself warned.

Want your own copy? You can get it here at Wildchild Publishing.

11 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger WannabeMe said...

*shivers*

Great review, Angie.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

This looks like something I'd like to read. Great review, btw.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Sounds chilling!

 
At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just ordered the Adobe EBook of Quits. I thought I was going to be able to down load an Adobe copy of the book. Goes to show you what I know about EBooks. Guess when it comes in I will need to buy a reader. Someone please bring me up to speed on EBooks. Thanks.

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Emmy Ellis said...

OH MY GOD!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA @: mother hating, bunny loving, cliché quoting, kidnapping madman

That's him isn't it! So bloody funny.

Those clues to the twist are there, but very obscure. Once the ending comes along they are easy to recall.

Man, this review is so FAB! I love it! Thank you so much!

{{Big hugs}}

Steve! Thank you (humbled by your purchase, truly).

Quits is going into print in the near future. I'm VERY glad about that as this book is special to me.

Thanks Angie! You're a star!

:o)

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking foward to reading it.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

Creepfest is a really good description, Angie. Thanks for the review.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger angie said...

Glad ya'll liked the review - a first for me. And it is chill-worthy!

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Miss Angie. Would never have the book without your help.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger KMFrontain said...

Great review. Makes Ellis's book sound awesome and chilling at once.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

I just came over here from Steve's blog to read the review here. Thx! ~ jb///

 

Post a Comment

<< Home