Saturday, November 25, 2006

Typing/Writing/Whatever-the-hell

Mr. I Love a Mystery, at work in front of his Royal typewriter. I thank my lucky stars (and the good folks at Apple) every damn day that I don't have to work like that. Nope. I get to sit in a reasonably comfortable chair in front of a computer that allows me to correct my many, many typos, changed thoughts, and general errors as quickly as I want.

And that's what I'm doing. For quite a while. In fact, for the forseeable future, I'll be working on this here novel thingie until I get the flippin' first draft down. So if I start whining about how freakin' hard writing is (and it is, it really, really is), somebody please remind me just how easy I've got it in these here modern times...

6 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger d said...

yeah.

(sorry, but that's about all the ol' brain is capable of today)

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Granny J said...

Having lived (and worked) through the manual typewriter plus carbon paper era ... the correctable IBM electric typewriter plus xerox copy era ... I dread ever having to return to the G.O.D. (Good Old Days), though I have a manual machine in the basement Just In Case

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

I have a theory that having to deal with a typewriter is why books used to be so much more long-winded. Editing must have been a Beeyotch!

And I've also lived through the manual typewriter plus carbon paper era, the IBM Selectric, etc.

I really hate to admit that.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Yeah, but in another thirty years they'll have some do-dad that transfers thoughts into sentences and paragraphs and it'll be so much better and then we'll be justified griping about this, so why not just gripe now? Advanced complaining.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger angie said...

LOL, Sandra!

I never had to deal with the straight up manual typewriters, but the Selectrics weren't all that great - I learned to type on one. I had an early version of the so-called word processor (basically an electronic typewriter that let you see a few lines at a time before you told it to print out the page) in college. Yuck to all of the above.

I say again, thank you Steve Jobs & all the good folks at Apple. Honestly, if I had to do the Microsoft thing I think I'd have given up long ago. Their computers just don't work with how I think!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...

I ran a typing service my first year at college with my manual Smith & Corona. It had a neato pop-in/pop-out white-out cartridge that made things a heckuva lot easier.

Once I dug out some carbon paper to show the boys; they thought it was so cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home