Sunday, December 10, 2006

Accidental Fireworks

Weird, but very cool thing happened last night. We finally went out to get our Christmas tree and as we were driving by the Courthouse Square, I noticed a bunch of people hanging out. And then I saw the snow. As in snow machines pumping snow onto a large crowd of whirling, giggling kids (the grown-up kind, too). So, that's kinda fun & Christmas-y, but what the hell was going on? No time to stop and investigate - we had a tree to pick out.

On the way back into town we heard the first volley. As we got closer to downtown, we realized the fireworks were coming from the football field of Mile-Hi Middle School. So we did what any right-thinking people with a Christmas tree and a bunch of poinsettas in their truck would do. We got within a block of the school, pulled over and stuck our heads out the windows to watch. It was the best fireworks display I've seen in ages. The finale was incredible. We could hear people all around clapping and whoo-hooing all around us as the bits of paper from the fireworks floated to the ground like confetti. Wow! Not to get all sappy, but it made my little grinch heart expand just a little - not seven whole sizes, but at least one-and-a-half.

Naturally, holiday fireworks and the expanded grinch heart led to the need for more Christmas sappiness. We drove a few blocks to Randy's (technically it's called Showbusiness Video, but everyone calls it Randy's) in search of a Christmas video. We walked out with one of my all time favorites - A Christmas Carol. Not the icky ones, but the 1951 b&w one with Alastair Sim. I LOVE Randy's store - and Randy's a pretty cool dude, too. Anyway, he was the one who filled us in on what the snow machines and fireworks were about. I guess the city decided to mark the official arrival of Santa Claus in Prescott with a bit of an extravaganza. This big kid was really happy with the hoopla.

Here's wishing you all at least one heart-expanding moment this holiday season. I don't care if you're religious or not, I'm just wishing you a bit of extra joy and goodness. We can never get enough of that, can we?

5 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger T. Stone said...

Alastair Sim is great. So is Randy. Hey, so is your bloggie.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger d said...

:-D, :-D, :-D, :-D


P.S. :-D!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Christian said...

I was hoping that "accidental" fireworks would mean "inadvertent," like as the result of a blaze at the fireworks factory. Now THAT would be fun.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

Where's you limerick for E.Ann? I wrote one, so you have to also. Dana wrote one, too.

Sort of.

It's not exactly a limerick, it's...something else.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Granny J said...

I'm a little way up the hill to the west -- and so there I was, minding my own business & hear this loud bang and then another. I look out & there's all these fireworks going on! These days, I read my Courier religiously to know what's going on -- and I was totally unaware that there was going to be fireworks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home