Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Zamboni


Yep. That's Santa. On a Zamboni.

I think I'm pucked. A friend gave the hubster & I some free tix and I went to my first ever hockey game tonight. I am totally hooked. Bizarre, but true. I hate sports. H-A-T-E them. Okay, a baseball game every now and then can be all right, but generally speaking I'm not a sports person. But I flippin' love hockey - and didn't even know it until tonight.

Over in Prescott Valley, the Sundogs (brand new minor league hockey team) are part way through their first season. That's right, a hockey team with their own stadium in...Prescott Valley, AZ. Not Phoenix. Not Tucson. Not even Yuma, but in Prescott Valley - population approx. 35,000. Go figure.

I can't explain it, I don't understand it, but I can't wait to go to the next game. There's something about the combination of speed, grace, and brutality that enchanted me. It's a game that I can grok. The teamwork, the individual talents, the pucks hitting the safety plexi at 75mph...I get it, I love it, I want more! And it's so weird I can hardly believe it.

8 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Christian said...

Hockey? You're not a closet Canadian, are you?

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, a very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...

That's too funny, Angie. What other secret passions have you been harboring, hmmm?

Merry Christmas to you and yours, dear Angie!

Love,

Bonnie

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Buffy said...

Merry Christmas Angie!

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Stephen Blackmoore said...

Hockey's not a game. It's an excuse for men and women to engage in high speed violence. The only thing that might make it better is if they simply did away with all the penalties.

Ultimate Ice Fighting. Now that would be fun.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

I fell in love with hockey back in the seventies when I went to a live game and watched the Broad Street Bullies totally wipe up the ice with the Bruins.

You totally won the limerick contest, Angie! Your prize is a trip to Paris and all the Dubonnet you can drink.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger angie said...

Yes, Christian. I am a Canadian...when I'm looking for my shoes in the closet.

Actually, there was a fight at the game, Stephen. The guys took off their masks and gloves and went at it - the refs just stood back and waited until one of them managed to knock the other one down & then sent 'em both to the penalty box. And I love the penalty box. Kinda like a grown up version of "now go sit in the corner and think about what you did!" Did I mention that I love hockey?!

Merry Christmas to everybody (a day late, but there ya go).

And wowza, I wrote the bestest dirty limmerick for Bardawill! That's pretty cool! Now I gotta get to work on that acceptance speech...

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger d said...

Ha! angie!

I love that you love ice hockey and that it took you by surprise. :-D

Congrats on the dirty limerick thing...an under appreciated talent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home