Thursday, December 14, 2006

Of Hooks and Barbs

Writing a hook is really flippin' hard. Yes, I was a foolhardy soul and squeezed one out of my aching brain for the Crapometer over at Miss Snark's. All in all, the hard part wasn't taking the criticism - I didn't do too badly, and any time an agent is willing to give me feedback you can be damn sure she's got my undivided. The hard part was writing the thing.

I'm not (often) a drama queen, but I spent more than a minute stomping around the house muttering obscenities. I knew what I wanted to say, but putting it in "hook" terms was a bitch and a half. A hook has so little to do with the process and language of writing a novel - it was horrible twisting my brain into super short and snappy mode. Owie, owie, owie! On the other hand, it forced me to get absolutely clear about a few things that will be helpful when I jump back into the story tomorrow.

Truly, though, I've got nothing to complain about - poor Miss Snark still had 479 hooks to go through when she threw in the towel tonight, and the submission window doesn't close for another 7 hours. I wonder what insane-o number it will reach by the end of the Crapometer. Yowchie!

9 Comments:

At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fisher person should do well.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

No, you're not a drama queen at all.

*rolls eyes*

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger angie said...

Takes one to know one *pfbtttttt*

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger d said...

yep. well said. I was in "advertising" for about 2 minutes and scrammed fast ...only to find I have to do the advertising for my novel. I wrote several attempst ...practice hooks and each time was, "nope that's NOT a hook" I'm starting to understand what isn't a hook but dang what IS is still a bit of a mystery. ha. Frustrating. But that's the way it is, so I will read the crapometer and take notes --I can learn this...I can.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Bill Cameron said...

Ooooh, girl fight!

*gets popcorn and camera, settles in*

:D

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger angie said...

Sorry, Bill. My brain's too tired for a girl fight. Besides, I could totally take her and she know it.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

Lala laughs at your hubris.

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What number is your hook. Would like to read it.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger angie said...

Lala can laugh all she wants. She is the queen of hubris, but I could still take you in a tho' down.

Amra, mine is #2.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home