Saturday, January 20, 2007

Devil Wears Blech...


If I'd actually spent money on this, I'd want it back. Plus interest. There's a new DVD vending machine at our grocery store that offered a free video rental. My husband, being a total sucker, chose this as his free rental (I had NOTHING to do with this decision...I wasn't even there when he did it). He swears it was just 'cause he'd heard that Meryl Streep did an amazing job. She did. I still hated the movie and want the hour and forty-five minutes of my life back that I spent watching the damn thing. You know it's bad when you're able to accurately predict in real time what's going to happen next. My husband literally said, "oh no...she's gonna throw her phone into the fountain." Yep. That's what she did. Ultimo lameness, ultimo predictability. And the movie never did make a stand on the whole fashion industry thingie. Sure, it made fun of the fashionistas, but it never quite went for the jugular - even though the evil Miranda Priestly always did. Dear god, I'm so thrilled that Chick Lit (or Chic Lit, in this case) is dead. I just hope it doesn't go all Elvis on us and insist on coming back over and over and over again. Now THAT'S a scary thought.

13 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...

I just rented this, too, and once again I feel like I am WAY out of touch of our cultural zeitgeist. I didn't understand why it was so popular, either.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah. didn't see the movie, but i had to laugh at your reaction to the death of chick lit. i feel the same way.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger T. Stone said...

But DAHLIN', all of those lovely fashions!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger angie said...

Oh god. I had honestly never heard of Jimmy Choos until this year. I felt my IQ dropping as my fashion awareness rose. Yuck. No thanks!

$1100 for a freakin' purse. Puhleeze.

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it, guess I won't now. You mean I missed out on chic lit. Damn, but I'm behind the times.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Christian said...

This was very bad. The movie wanted to have its cake and eat it too- have its heroine overcome the shallowness and vapidity of the fashion industry. Oh, but also to look fabulous while doing so. Streep was awesome, though, as always. Never raised her voice once in the entire movie, but was still scary as hell.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Hulles said...

I also missed out on chick lit. But I really like the phrase. It sounds so dirty. Sigh.

Who's that one guy, Jimmy whats-his-name? Do I need to know his name to impress girls?

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Daniel Hatadi said...

Meryl Streep was pitch-perfect throughout. And, call me a girly-girl, but I liked the film, at least the first half of it. Might be something to do with hormones...

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger angie said...

Girly-girl/girly-man, take your pick. Your man card has been officially revoked, Daniel. Actually, your good film sense card has been revoked as well. One awesome acting job does not a good movie, or even a passable movie make. Sheesh. What ever happened to stan'ards?

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Daniel Hatadi said...

Actually, I thought the pacing of the first half of the film was good, if predictable, but the second half ruined it by being both dull and predictable.

And I don't need a man card because some people call me Man directly. The corruption goes like this: Daniel->Dan->Man.

I am Man.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Daniel Hatadi said...

Hear me snore.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

I'll wait for cable.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger angie said...

Oh, Daniel...

That's it, just "oh, Daniel."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home