Friday, June 01, 2007

Real Stoopid Crime

*
Still working away on the novel and spending almost no time doing blog stuff. Oops. But I'm coming up on my self-imposed deadline for the first draft (end o' June), and I'm not in the mood to fool around. So between writing, deep cleaning during "stuck" times (scrubbed all the tile in my shower/tub with bleach & a toothbrush - my bathroom has never been so clean) and putting a new coat of waterproofing sealant on the deck, that's pretty much my life. Thrilling adventure, huh? Oh, and the paper plates have worked out great. I confess I even got some paper bowls so I wouldn't have to wash dishes after breakfast. I'm seriously maximizing my slacker skills.

In other news...a truly dorky-looking dude broke into The Raven (and Coyote Radio's studio) early this a.m. How do I know he was dorky-looking? Smile, dude. You're on Candid Camera. Nice wire-rim glasses, shame about the crew-cut. And hey, tuck in that damn shirt, ya hoodlum! Yep, security cameras are pretty cool. Got to see the whole 8 minute ramble through our studio and the cafe. Mr. Brilliantly Crafty Criminal got away with a beer (singular) and a lock box from the Coyote Studio loaded to the brim with...old raffle ticket stubs. Didn't take the computers, the recording gear, the Mackie board or the oh-so-portable microphones. Couldn't figure out how to break into the Raven's register (though he did manage to pretty much destroy it in the process.) Nope. He grabbed himself a cold one from the cooler, went through the desk in the studio and took a lock box. Filled with old raffle tickets. Freakin' genius, eh? Oh, did I mention that the lock box wasn't actually locked?! Geez. Public schools have a lot to answer for. I hope they catch the twerp, but at least he didn't get a lot o' loot. Though he did a chunk of damage between the doors and the cash register. Idiot.

In (better) news...we should get the antennae and transmitter for the radio station sometime in June. Not an LPFM because of ongoing crap with that process, but an LPAM (part 15? can't remember exactly what it's called). So not quite the dream, but pretty cool nonetheless. It'll be a tiny, tiny footprint on the AM airwaves, but we'll have a lot more content and actually be "on the air" as well as having more stuff/shows on the web and available through pod-casting. The hubster is pretty much ecstatic. He's been working toward this for several years and is still wrapping his head around the fact that it's becoming a reality. Hooray for community radio!

Tsunami on the Square is coming up in a few weeks, too. I love this event - mariachis, black-light theater and fire, oh my! They're doing the Art Car Parade again this year and the hubster will serve as announcer there and for a few hours at the main stage on the Courthouse Square. Should be a great time, fer sure.

So...lots of hard work, a stupid criminal, good stuff coming to fruition and an all-day performing arts event. All in all, not too shabby!

*I found this photo on a website called www.dumbcrooks.com. Isn't that the coolest?!

9 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger Christian said...

Those raffle tickets are going to be worth big bucks on e-bay in about five years.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Stephen Blackmoore said...

I loves me the criminal element. If it weren't for them, I'd have to pick somebody else to make fun of. Like, I dunno, rodeo midgets? Now you need to set up some traps for the next time he shows up, and he will show up. A lock box attached to a 220volt outlet is always nice. Sadly, out here, setting traps is against the law. Of course, you could always set ones that don't look like traps.

And congrats on the transmitter. Big money's gonna be rollin' in anytime now, eh? Woohoo!

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger angie said...

Stoopid crinimals are annoying and costly, but vaguely amusing. And no, I don't think there's gonna be big money rollin' in anytime soon - either from eBay or the radio station. There isn't exactly mad cash to be made from community radio. But it'll be totally cool & awesome to see that dream actually happen.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger d said...

[shakes head at dorky criminal]

Big Congrats to you and Andrew on the
antennae and transmitter --especially to Andrew (seein' it's his dream and all).

And I second the yay for community radio --I'm a big fan of community anything ...well, not lynching or book burning but ya know what I mean.

Good for you on keeping priorities straight sounds like it's paying off!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

Yep, I'm with Christian. That criminal don't need no high tech recording equipment, he's into crime for the long-term investment potential.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

and congrats on the transmitter and the other technological stuff you're talking about.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Chickenbells said...

Oh no...a couple of Christmases ago someone broke into the "apartment" above the shop and proceeded to try to use a butter knife to pry their way into the Radio Shack to burglar it...they didn't quite make it, so they dropped down through my ceiling (which is odd, because there is a stair case to the upstairs in the back of the shop) stole $20 out of my register and let themselves out. No one would have even known they'd been there if they left the way they came in...and they could have brought back more tools for later...Oh well, I'm just thankful they didn't!

Yay about the transmitter!

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the stoopid criminal. Good grief!

Looking forward to your antenna and broadcasting!

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, love the blow by blow of the helpless crook. You'll have to post when he gets caught.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home