Saturday, August 11, 2007

Yay, Pulp!

My hubby loves me...he really, really does! While he was out of town last week I mentioned that I'd started on a Louise Brooks biography (it's gi-normous). We talked about some of the funnier bits like when Charlie Chaplin allegedly painted his penis red with iodine (he was under the impression iodine would protect him from STDs) during a weekend of general debauchery.

Anyway, that's not why I know the hubster loves me. No, the reason I know is that when he came home, he brought me a pressie, Songs of Innocence. I love it - the writing is really top-notch and the cover art is appropriately pulpy. Still, I had to ask him what made him think of it. His response? "When you told me you were reading that Louise Brooks bio, I knew you were running low on books. I've had that bio for years and you've never even opened it!" Well, he's right. I'm not abandoning the bio (it's really fascinating & Pandora's Box is perhaps the finest silent movie ever made), but I am totally digging having a new pulp novel to zip through. Yay, pulp & woohoo for fab hubsters!

10 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger d said...

Up to now I was the only person I knew who had read that Louise Brooks bio.

hahahahahaha

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger angie said...

Too funny! Andrew's had the book for at least 10 years (he has several books that he re-reads & keeps around just for that reason). I love Louise Brooks, but am not a big biography person, so until this week I'd only looked at the pictures! It's a good read, but loooong.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

You should subscribe to Hard Case Crime, Angie. I'm sure you know Richard Aleas is the pen name for Charles Ardai, who is the HCC editor and he does a fantastic job with the books. Kevin devours them. I've already read Christa Faust's Money Shot, and I expect people will be talking about that one plenty when it comes out early 2008.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Daniel Hatadi said...

I just got hold of exactly the same book the other week. Have you read LITTLE GIRL LOST as well?

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Erica Ridley said...

LOL, great story. Yay to your DH! =)

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger angie said...

Nope, haven't read LITTLE GIRL LOST yet, but noticed the mention when I finished SOI. And no, I didn't realize Richard Aleas was actually Charles Ardai. I'll be picking up LGL when I have a chance, though. Like I said, really strong writing, if a rather nasty noirish story!

And howdy, Erica. Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Daniel Hatadi said...

After I read LGL I went back and wrote down a one sentence summary of each scene, just so I could see the shape of the thing. It's an interesting exercise and teaches you a lot about plot structure.

Not that I've learned much ... yet.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Granny J said...

Splendid pulp photos!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

I totally thought you were going to say that your hubby painted HIS penis red with iodine...just to cheer you on.

Do they still sell iodine?

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger angie said...

Yer nasty, Mindy. Yes, they still sell iodine. And there will be no more talk of my hubster's genitalia. That's...personal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home